Friday, August 5, 2011

Super ‘70s and ‘80s: “Super Friends”—Constance Cawlfield (Wonder Woman 2)

Introduction to series “Super ‘70s and ‘80s.”

Introduction to subseries “Super Friends” (including list of interviewees).

How did you get the job on Super Friends?

There were 300 women that auditioned for the part and the network in New York picked my voice as one of five called back. They said that they liked the crinkle in my voice. So I was chosen.

then

now

How long did you have the job?


One season—the 1984 season when they came out with the action figures. [Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show]

How familiar with the characters were you before you got the job?

I had, of course, heard of Superman and Wonder Woman, but I never was a follower of all the characters.

Did you like the job?

I loved it. I flew in from Las Vegas where I was doing a play opposite Peter Marshall. They arranged the recording sessions for me on Mondays when the theater was dark.

What challenges were involved in recording SF?

The biggest one was not having the rest of the cast there to play off of. I had just a storyboard.

How did working on SF compare to other animated series you worked on?

That was the only animated series that I have done.

Of the episodes you were in, do you have a favorite?

I really liked “The Bride of Darkseid.”

How much time, if any, did you spend with the other voice actors when you weren’t working?

Being out of town for practically every session did not help. But almost everyone was out of town.

Which voice actors were you most friendly with?

I never socialized with any of them.

Were any voice actors like or completely unlike their characters?

Casey Kasem was totally different. He was a very talented, versatile, and sweet person.

What brought your time as on SF to an end? Did you choose to move on or did they replace you?

I was very busy at that time and as for the second question…I really don’t know.

Do you still have any of your original SF scripts?

Yes.

Do you have any other SF memorabilia from the era (i.e. cards signed by cast members, etc.)?

I have an original cel of Wonder Women personally signed by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera.

How aware are you of the influence that SF had on the current generation of comic book writers?

At that time? No. But now…?

Do you ever get e-mails from SF fans?

Sometimes.

When was the last time you watched one of your SF episodes?

[In 2008], after the DVD was released.

How do you look back on your time working SF?

Very fondly. I had no idea then that there would be such a following.

What are you doing these days?

My husband and I own a theatre company here in the Lone Tree area and I spend most of my time directing plays. The theatre is Colorado Stage Company.

Do you have children, and if so, ages?

I have two grown sons with families of their own.

If so, what do they think of your time as a superhero?

They are very proud and think that it was/is cool to have Wonder Woman as a mom.

Has anyone else interviewed you about SF?

Yes.

What was your reaction when you heard why I was contacting you?

I was very glad that you took such an interest!

Have you ever participated (i.e. signed autographs) at a comic convention? If not, would you be willing to (if the convention paid your way)?

No, but it sounds like fun!

Would you be open to appearing at a pop culture convention to sign autographs and meet fans?

Yes, I would!

Anything else about the experience I didn’t cover that you’d like to add?

I would like to go back and do it again.

Next: B.J. Ward (Wonder Woman 3).

No comments: