Saturday, April 18, 2009

Death comes for Supermen

On 4/17/09, I was one of the authors appearing at a book fair at the Birch Wathen Lenox School in New York City. Each author read to an assigned class, took questions, then returned to the book fair to sign books. Here is a (going on memory) exchange after I read my class Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman:

student 1: Are Jerry and Joe still alive?
me: No, Jerry died in 1996 and Joe died in 1992.
student 2: Didn't Superman also die?
me: There have been Superman stories for 70 years. He's died several times but always comes back. His most publicized death was in 1992.
student 3: So Superman and Joe died in the same year. That's weird.
me: You know, that is weird.

Speaking of milestones, 71 years ago today, Action Comics #1 went on sale.

No comments: